Diva Cooking 101

Divas cook gorgeous things that are fabulous enough to share with friends and family. They just don't cook much. Every diva needs a few, easy signature dishes to get by. Are you a diva cook?

Divas cook while listening to Billie Holiday, Muddy Waters, or the Rolling Stones.

Divas cook while sipping Champagne, Chardonnay, or a martini.

Divas cook with a feather boa draped around their shoulders.

While cooking, divas nibble gin-soaked olives or Champagne-saturated strawberries.

Divas cook while wearing an apron that says, "Tomorrow is another Chardonnay."

A diva's favorite breakfast is last night's appetizers.

Divas don't stress over particular amounts in any recipe. Glugs, plops, and handfuls are accurate enough.

Divas can cook with boas because diva recipes do not require many steps. Still, the food is fabulous.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Firefly American Bistro and Bar

Firefly American Bistro and Bar

The Firefly Restaurant is a fairly new eatery that opened up on Concord St. in Manchester, just off the city’s main street called Elm. The first, most wonderful aspect you will notice is PARKING. They have their own parking lot. In downtown Manchester that is huge. Not Boston huge, but NH huge.

The décor is casual chic. They make good use of the historic brick walls. They have two separate dining rooms and a bar area that people like to squeeze into. The clientele seems to be mainly people in their 30s and 40s and professionals. I have been in several times now and have seen hair salon owners, area restaurant owners, politicians, and people who work in the downtown area who pop in for lunch. The exception last night was the four women a bit older drinking martinis and laughing raucously. It made me want to order a martini.

I didn’t, however. I started with their own Firefly Pinot Noir and an order of the addiction-causing go-go bread. This is not a complicated dish. It is simply fried bread that is dipped into Gorgonzola sauce. I need to run a half marathon today to undo the damage done. We ran out of bread, not sauce. If I had not been brought up the way I was, I would have licked the bowl clean with my finger. Alas…

For dinner, I had the Bourbon Street fettuccine that consisted of blackened shrimp, crawfish, and andouille sausage with tomatoes and green onions in a Cajun cream sauce for $16.95. The sauce was not too creamy and had a bit of spiciness. My companions had the bacon wrapped bistro steak which was pan-seared, finished with a Tennessee bourbon barbeque sauce, onion straws, smashed potatoes and vegetable for $19.95 and an alfredo seafood pasta special which I do not remember the price. They were both wonderful. The steak was cooked perfectly and the BBQ sauce was a tad sweet. I found the alfredo sauce quite creamy, but that’s the point.

We did not save room for dessert. I tried feverishly to get my companions to order something so I could have a bite. I failed.

Our overall dining experience was fabulous. We will make Firefly American Bistro and Bar one of our regular stops. (http://www.fireflynh.com/)

No comments: